I had a coach whose favorite quote was “Pain is the best teacher.” and that was the first thing that popped into my head this morning when I realized that I had left an $80 a month Digital Ocean Droplet running for an extra 3 weeks after I got done using it. To be honest $60 isn’t *that* painful but it did prod me to write a slackbot that will post all my running droplets to slack once a day:
Here is how I set it up:
- Create a SlackBot and copy API Key.
- Create a *read only* Digital Ocean API Key.
- Copy this shell script to a Digital Ocean droplet:
- Copy this line to your crontab to post a list of running droplets at 0800 everyday:
00 08 * * * /path/to/dobot.sh
- Enjoy not wasting money on abandoned cloud servers.